Wednesday, January 13, 2016

How Do You Show God that You Accept His Forgiveness? -Give God Thanks Series - Week 6


How Do You Show God that You Accept His Forgiveness?

In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NKJV)

What do you consider the best way to give God thanks for his forgiveness of your sin?

Well I guess the first question may need to be: Do you give God thanks for the forgiveness of your sins? God has instructed us to give thanks in everything. Last week we learned that we can give God thanks even in sin. So certainly we can give him thanks for forgiveness. Giving God thanks for Jesus and the forgiveness of our sins is not a difficult prayer. In fact it is in quite easy and almost natural. Forgiveness feels good. I can certainly enjoy forgiveness. Forgiveness gives me a sense of real love. It makes me feel God’s love. I gladly accept forgiveness, and I thank God for it with ease. Do I truly accept God’s forgiveness of my sin and give thanks for it? Do you?

Do you sincerely, earnestly accept God’s forgiveness of your sin and give true thanks for it? I hate to rain on our temporary parade, but we do not always truly accept forgiveness and give God honest thanks for it. Don’t start arguing the point quite yet. Just let me explain something utterly amazing that God showed me in the story of dear King David. It will teach you how to step closer to seriously accepting forgiveness and giving God thanks for it like never before. This lesson from our heavenly Father is going to show you how deep his love is for you. It will also show you how to be a woman or man after God’s heart, like David.

In Acts 13:22 King David is described by God as “a man after my own heart.” We know that David sinned from 2 Samuel 11 when he slept with Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah. Then he had Uriah killed to cover up his original sin that led to Bathsheba’s pregnancy. We also know that David did suffer the consequences of his sin as Nathan the prophet of God described to David in 2 Samuel 12. So do we all agree that David sinned? If you read the chapters that follow 2 Samuel 12 you will see that David did suffer the consequences of his sin. However Nathan, sent from God, told David in 2 Samuel 12:13, “The LORD has taken away your sin.”

We first see David’s acceptance of forgiveness in the very chapter that God told him his sin was taken away. Read 2 Samuel 12: 13-14.

2 Samuel 12: 13-14

Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan replied, “The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for the LORD, the son born to you will die.”

David’s son with Bathsheba became ill and died on the seventh day. In 2 Samuel 12:23 David said, “I will go to him, but he will not return to me” concerning his son’s death. David’s statement that he will one day go to this son, who died, proves that David expected to go to heaven. David had accepted the forgiveness from God and was confident that he would go to be with his son in heaven. David accepted the words of the Lord through Nathan, “The LORD has taken away your sin.”

Psalm 51 was written by David asking for God’s mercy to cleanse him from his sin. In this beautiful psalm of repentance and thanksgiving, King David earnestly sought God. In Psalm 32 we find David rejoices in God’s forgiveness.

Psalm 32:2, 5

2 Blessed is the one

whose sin the LORD does not count against them

and in whose spirit is no deceit.

 
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you

and did not cover up my iniquity.

I said, “I will confess

my transgressions to the LORD.”

And you forgave

the guilt of my sin.

 
What did God tell David in 2 Samuel 12:13 through the prophet Nathan?

“The LORD has taken away your sin.”

David declares that God forgave the guilt of his sin in Psalm 32:5, but did he truly see his sin taken away? He committed adultery and murder. Those sins make the top 10 of God’s laws. Could David really see his sin taken away?

Let’s return to the beginning of the lesson with the question, “What do you consider the best way to give God thanks for his forgiveness of your sins?” Keep that question in mind when you read the following Song of Praise by David in 2 Samuel 22. David was in war against the Philistines over and over again. However when David sang 2 Samuel 22 to the Lord, the Word says it was when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. David sang this song when he was delivered from all of his enemies, which one should reason clearly that it would be after David’s sin with Bathsheba. David had many more battles after this sin. This includes David and his army in battle with Rabbah, Absalom, Sheba and the Philistines.

I believe that 2 Samuel 22 did occur after God delivered him from “all his enemies” therefore after his sin with Bathsheba. This is an important point to understand when looking at David’s acceptance of forgiveness. If you need further proof read through 2 Samuel. 

Let’s read some of David’s Song of Praise from 2 Samuel 22 to learn how David accepted forgiveness and gave God thanks for it in a marvelous way. There are 51 verses so we will just look at a few.

2 Samuel 22 -David’s Song of Praise

1 David sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.

2 He said: “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,

my shield and the horn of my salvation.

He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—

from violent people you save me.

 

21 “The LORD has dealt with me according to my righteousness;

according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.

22 For I have kept the ways of the LORD;

I am not guilty of turning from my God.

23 All his laws are before me;

I have not turned away from his decrees.
24 I have been blameless before him


and have kept myself from sin.

25 The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness,

according to my cleanness in his sight.

 

31 “As for God, his way is perfect:

The LORD’s word is flawless;

he shields all who take refuge in him.

32 For who is God besides the LORD?

And who is the Rock except our God?

33 It is God who arms me with strength

and keeps my way secure.

47 “The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock!

Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

48 He is the God who avenges me,

who puts the nations under me,

2 Samuel 22 absolutely, positively gives God thanks. Giving thanks is not just about saying thank you. Giving thanks is to give praise and honor also. Once again let’s return to the question of the lesson: What do you consider the best way to give God thanks for forgiveness of your sins? How did David show his thanks to God in this song? Was it with words of praise to God his Rock, Exalted God and Savior? Was it with his many words describing God as one who delivers? What was the best way that King David gave thanks to God for forgiveness? How did David prove to God that he trusted God and his words? What did David do that showed God true honor and respect in accepting forgiveness?

Go back and read 2 Samuel 22: 21-25 again before continuing.

Did King David say that he had kept himself from sin, kept the ways of the Lord and did not turn away from God’s decrees? Is David terribly forgetful or suffering from senility and confusion? First of all, none of us is without sin. We were born into sin. Secondly I am positive that adultery and murder are sins according to the Law of Moses and the Word of God. David confessed his sin! So where does he mention that in 2 Samuel 22? Why don’t we read about David’s sins washed away and his transgressions blotted out?

Do you see it now? David’s sin is not mentioned because he considered God’s words to be true and faithful. If God says your sin is taken away, David took it at face value. David believed God had heard his prayer in Psalm 51 asking that all iniquity be washed away. David trusted that God heard him ask to be cleansed of his sin. David knew that his God was truth and held truth to his words when he said, “your sin is taken away.”

David saw himself the way that God saw him, with his sin washed away and now “whiter than snow.” (Psalm 51:7) If God washed away your sin, why mention it? If it is taken away or blotted out, it no longer exists. It is gone. Why should we talk about sin that is gone and forgiven? Of course it is useful and beneficial when witnessing to others of God’s love and grace. However is there a need to talk about forgiven sin when in prayer and praise?

David is giving God the perfect song of praise in 2 Samuel 22. This perfect song honors God’s words that said “The Lord has taken away your sin.” David does not mention his sin because he believes God’s words. If God said David’s sin is taken away, David accepted it. It was a done deal. In 2 Samuel 22:25 David says, “The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in his sight.” David sees himself as “clean” without sin.

The best way to give God thanks for his forgiveness of your sins is to confidently accept his forgiveness by considering the sin totally washed away. Give God thanks in big way by showing God you trust his Word and you believe him. I believe accepting that your sin is taken away and you are now clean tells God you love him and his Word.

Let’s pray for forgiveness of sin and accept it. Please pray with me.

Dear Father God,

From the words of David, a man after your own heart God,

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Thank you Father that through your Son, Christ Jesus, I am forgiven. You have washed away my sin. I am now whiter than snow. I am clean. All my transgressions are blotted out. Therefore I am righteous before you through Jesus.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Amen.

Can you now read 2 Samuel 22: 21-25 as your own prayer to God? Can you use David’s words of total acceptance of God’s forgiveness for your life? It may not be easy to dismiss something you did in your past as if it never happened. You are not denying that it occurred; instead you are accepting that God washed it away. I did not say to never speak of your past sin again. The story of God’s deliverance from our sin is a great witness to God’s love. It can be used. I am asking you to see that sin, which God just took away and blotted out, as removed from you so that God can receive a true thanksgiving from you.

Read 2 Samuel 22:21-25 as testimony of God’s forgiveness. Read these verses and consider yourself clean. This was written by David prior to the arrival of Jesus and his saving grace, yet David was able to accept forgiveness. What more we have now! We have the Savior of the universe who died for our sin. Honor what Jesus did on the cross for you and accept God’s forgiveness of your sin. Accept it that you are clean. Accept that you are as white as snow. Give God thanks for his forgiveness of your sin by seeing yourself as clean! You are not denying that you will sin again. You are not denying that you sinned. You are accepting God’s Word is true, that your sin is washed away.

If you do not accept God’s forgiveness for your sin, do you know what you are doing?   You are denying that the words of God are true, trustworthy and faithful.

Accept God’s Word as truth and accept his forgiveness. Look in the mirror and say, “I am forgiven, my sins are washed away, and I am clean.” This is how to honor God because you honor his Word.

This week read 2 Samuel 22:21-25 often. Use David’s words as they are your words. When you read it keep thinking of yourself as clean. Say it after each verse. Say, “I am clean” after each line. YOU ARE FORGIVEN. Give God thanks for this by accepting that your sin is washed away.

Next week we will look at God’s point of view regarding David’s acceptance of forgiveness. This will further confirm that God considers forgiven sin as washed away! It is awesome to get a glimpse of God from his eyes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment