Thursday, November 19, 2015

What Can I Give Jesus for Christmas? - Give God Thanks Series - Week 1



What Can I Give Jesus for Christmas?

Have you considered what gift you will give Jesus this Christmas?  Do you know the song “The Little Drummer Boy”? We hear it often during the Christmas season. Have you ever listened carefully and considered the words to this song? I had not until January 5, 2011 – 10 days after Christmas. While watching past recordings from my DVR, I happened upon a Christian show with an artist painting a splat piece of Jesus and the little drummer boy. He painted an amazing piece of art to the music and words of the song “The Little Drummer Boy.” The version of the song was fantastic, very moving and contemporary. The experience of the artist painting coupled with the song was truly a masterpiece.

I felt God lead me to listen carefully to the words of the song and write them down. That is when I realized the beauty of it. I can’t say I have ever totally enjoyed this song. It was never a popular Christmas tune for me will all the “pa rum pum pum pums.” However now it may just be my #1 Christmas song because of the meaning God gave to me. That is why I would like to share it with you.

This message presents to us the question “What can I give Jesus this Christmas?” It is not a message of condemnation. No guilt is implied in any way. It will actually give you a solution to finding the right gift to give a king – the King, Jesus Christ. What can we give Jesus? What gift do we have “that is fit to give a king” (from “The Little Drummer Boy”). I have the answer to that question. Simply read this message and learn what to give Jesus as a gift to honor him. It is not as complicated as you might think. Giving it will also change your attitude and life in a great and positive way.

Let’s start with reading the words to the song. I like to sing it and listen to the words – yes even the pa rum pum pum pum part.

 

 

“The Little Drummer Boy”

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum

A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum

Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum

To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,

When we come.

 

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum

I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,

On my drum?

 

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum

The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my drum.

 

As did the three wise men, people may have brought gifts to the new born king, Jesus. Is this song based on any true facts? I don’t know. It is not in the Bible as far as I know. However that is not important. This song is about bringing Jesus a gift even when you feel you have nothing to offer a king. This boy in the song felt that he had no gift to give that would be worthy of a king. Jesus was born the King, The Christ, the Messiah, the Anointed One, Immanuel – King of the Jews.

Do you ever feel as if you have nothing worthy to give Jesus? Nothing that is fit to give the King? You gave him your heart. You are believing and trying to serve him, but that does not feel as if you have a gift for him. It does not feel like you are really giving Jesus and God anything. I feel that way often. God gave me a Savior, his one and only Son. God gives me so much. He gives me life for goodness sake. He gives me health, family, friends, food, clothing and so much. What do I give him? Yes, I try to serve him, but it does not feel like much. I want to give God and Jesus something. I want to be a giver this time. I want to give my God, my Jesus and my Holy Spirit something – something worthy! Do you?

I don’t know about you, where you are in life right now, but me – I am sick and tired of going to God with all my needs. I am annoyed at my own cries for help – with finances, loneliness in divorce, parenting and always asking for guidance. I ask God for this, then that. Oh my, I just can’t take it anymore. I want to give something. I want to give my Father something to show my great love for him instead of continually asking for help. Do any of you feel this way? I am seriously tired; worn out by my own cries for help to God.

I did not say that God is tired or annoyed by my cries for help. I don’t know what God is thinking, but I know He loves me unconditionally. I know He loves me so much that He gave his one and only Son that I may have eternal life with him (John 3:16.) I just feel at this time in my life I want to stop looking at my needs so often and look at what I can give my Father God.

So what can we give? Don’t worry, I am not going to ask you to go out and buy a drum. Lol. What this little drummer boy discovered is that he did in fact have something to give. So do you. So do I. We do have something to give Jesus, to give God. God’s Word tells us of gifts we can give. I think we have just never looked at them as gifts or as giving. Today I will show you what God showed me. He showed me a gift that I can give him, which is also his will for my life. Isn’t that awesome?

Go to 1 Thessalonians 5:18 please. 1 Thessalonians is 1 of 2 books that Paul wrote to the church at Thessalonica. It was a newly established church when Paul wrote his letter to them. As were most of Paul’s letters to churches, this was intended to strengthen their faith and to encourage them through hard times of persecution. The last chapter of this book is chapter 5 which includes his final instructions to them. Read what he has to say.

 

 

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (New King James Version)

In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Look at the first four words – “In everything give thanks.”  Did that just say “give”? Give is giving. Right? Give is a gift! Did we just find a way to give God something? Oh yes we did!

Now I am going to teach you or maybe just refresh your memory on the art and beauty of meditation. Meditation will change you! It will give you revelation, God’s voice and put the Word deep inside your heart. It is one of the most useful tools I have discovered in learning the Word of God and growing a relationship with him. I am serious. You simply must develop a habit and a desire to meditate on God’s Word.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NKJV) In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Give! I can give God something! Hallelujah! I can give Jesus something! I can give the Holy Spirit something! Yes I can. I can give “thanks.” That is a gift to your Creator, your Father God. Give him thanks.

Ok here comes the tricky part – just a bit challenging in the beginning. Give thanks in everything. Everything covers the good and the bad. In order to help us in this task of giving thanks in everything, including the bad, we are going to incorporate meditation. This is your gift to Jesus (and God) – giving thanks in everything. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 is your verse for the week.

Now for the simplest, but highly beneficial, homework you could imagine:

Meditate on one word in this verse per day. Start today with the word “In” and begin to think about the meaning of that word.

In everything give thanks. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Think about that word and how it works in this instruction. “In” does not mean after something is over give thanks. “In” does not mean after the trial has passed. “In” does not mean before something happens and everything is going smoothly. “In” means now. It means during. Day 1 meditate on the word “in” and it’s meaning to you in this verse. Day 2 meditate on the following word “everything.” Say the verse. Then think about and ponder the exact meaning it has to you. Let God speak to you in your meditation. Ask him to speak to you in that still, small voice while you put your thoughts on his words. He will reveal things to you.

Day 3 meditate on the next word “give.” I like this one girls! Give! We get to give God something! And of course on day 4 meditate on the word “thanks.” The following days meditate on all four words of the verse – In everything give thanks. It is that easy ladies. Meditate while you drive, cook, clean, shop and work. Yes you can meditate while you work.  It is really that easy when you meditate on just a word or a few words. The great thing about meditation is you can do it anywhere and anytime. You can do it for a minute or for many minutes. You can do it a minute throughout the day to make many minutes. God knows every time you meditate on his Word, and He enjoys it.

As you meditate this week, you will find these words beginning to take action in you. You will begin to give thanks in everything. Believe me. Of course you have to give yourself reminders and do it.

One great tool I highly recommend to help you remember to meditate is a simple index card. Use several index cards. Write these 4 words from the scripture and the location (1Thessalonians 5:18) on them. Put the index cards anywhere you frequent. Put them in the car, kitchen, bathroom, nightstand, office and any place you will see them often. This will serve as an excellent reminder for you. You will remember to meditate and come that much closer to giving to God. You are becoming a giver! I am becoming a giver! How very exciting! Also this exercise places God’s Word throughout your house. Your house and home will be holding God’s words. That is powerful

Today start meditating on the word “in.” In everything give thanks. What are you “in” right now? Are you in debt? Are you in joy? Are you in stress? Are you in peace? Are you in relationship issues? Are you in need? Are you in love? What are you “in” where you will give thanks? I will give you an example and then shut up. Lol. I was looking at my income taxes when I wrote this several years ago and feeling annoyed with finding the money to pay them. It was feeling like such a burden. I was “in” my income taxes. How do I give thanks in this? Then just as easy as could be I said, “Thank you God that I have U.S.A. income taxes because that means I live in the U.S.A.” I live in a great country. I could live in a poverty stricken, underdeveloped country with no good housing or transportation, and living with very little. So I embrace my income taxes and my country. See that was not so hard.

Now it is your turn. Enjoy giving Jesus a gift. Feel good about giving God a gift.

In everything give thanks. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

The Christian Rock Band White Heart has a fantastic version of “The Little Drummer Body.” Google it and listen to inspire your giving a gift to a Jesus. 

3 comments:

  1. Such perfect timing for my own circumstances. Thanks for sharing your special gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment! Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas! Truly

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete