Monday, October 31, 2011

Refresh Your Prayer Life! - Week 1

Hi Ladies,

Do you ever feel that your prayers are a bit repetitive in nature? Or do you wonder if all the components needed are in your prayers? Let's get real honest, do you sometimes get bored with your prayers, your words? Well my name is Truly so here goes, I do. I get the sense that my prayers are repetitive a lot of the time. I do wonder if they have everything needed. And yes I feel bored with them and wonder if God may be bored as well. I think we all struggle at times with the words in our prayer life. Our prayers can become somewhat uniform, with little variation. The good news is that we have a book full of inspiration as well as examples to help give our prayer life more diversity.  We just have to use it. 

I want to begin a short Bible study that simply gives you various guidelines in writing new and unique personal prayers.  It will be a guide only, so that you can make it your own and build from it.  The study will simply point you in a direction, inspire you and motivate you.  So let’s get started.  God has given us a very easy start.  This first prayer we are writing is a fill-in-the-blank prayer based on Psalm 144.  I just love the idea of filling in the blanks.  You can’t get much more guided than that.  God knows what we need. 

Psalm 144 is written by King David.  If you have read any of my past studies you know that King David spent a lot of time running for his life from his enemies.  Many, many of the psalms reflect that.  Psalm 144 mentions battles and enemies.  However we can still use this psalm as a guide for prayer.  When you hear writers in the Bible speak of their human enemies, simply think of Satan, the enemy when using their words in prayer.  Satan is the ultimate enemy. 

Begin by reading David’s Psalm 144.  Then fill in the blanks with the prayer attached.  Take time to consider your answers and let God direct you.  This is your personal prayer.  David just acts as your guide.  I have provided steps for you.  I love this prayer.  I filled in my blanks today.  It will be my prayer for the week.  I hope it refreshes your prayer life and your time with God.

Love,
Truly


Psalm 144 NIV of David.
1Praise be to the LORD my Rock who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.


Step 1: Praise God for what He is currently doing in your life.

2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples under me.

Step 2: Describe who God is for you.

3 LORD, what are human beings that you care for them,
mere mortals that you think of them?
4 They are like a breath;
their days are like a fleeting shadow.

5 Part your heavens, LORD, and come down;  
touch the mountains, so that they smoke.
6 Send forth lightning and scatter the enemy;
shoot your arrows and rout them.
7 Reach down your hand from on high;
deliver me and rescue me
from the mighty waters,
from the hands of foreigners
8 whose mouths are full of lies,
whose right hands are deceitful.
Step 3: Ask God to take care of your need(s).
9 I will sing a new song to you, my God; on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,
10 to the One who gives victory to kings,
who delivers his servant David. from the deadly sword 11 deliver me;
rescue me from the hands of foreigners
whose mouths are full of lies, whose right hands are deceitful.
Step 4: Tell God what you will do for Him.
12 Then our sons in their youth will be like well-nurtured plants,
and our daughters will be like pillars
carved to adorn a palace.
13 Our barns will be filled
with every kind of provision.
Our sheep will increase by thousands,
by tens of thousands in our fields;
14 our oxen will draw heavy loads.
There will be no breaching of walls,
no going into captivity,
no cry of distress in our streets.
Step 5: Describe the future according to your answered prayer.

15 Blessed is the people of whom this is true; blessed is the people whose God is the LORD.


Step 6: Bless others with your words of God.

Fill in the Blank Prayer.   From Psalm 144 of David.
Father God,
1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock,

who ______________________________________________________________________. (Step 1)

 He is my loving God and my fortress, my _________________and my_________________. (Step 2)


5 Part your heavens, LORD, and come down; touch ________________________________________.   
                                                                                (Step 3)
7 Reach down your hand from on high; deliver me from_____________________________________.

 9 I will_______________________________________________________________my God. (Step 4)

12Then____________________________________________________________________.(Step 5)

 15 Blessed is________________________________________________________________. (Step 6)

 blessed is the people whose God is the LORD.

 We pray these things in Jesus name.
 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment