Sunday, January 13, 2013

Meditation Now - Week 1



New 2013 Bible Study -Week 1
Meditation Now, Learning how to love your God more!

Matthew 22: 37-38 NIV
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
The words of Matthew 22:37-38 are Jesus’ reply to the question “which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”  Jesus answers that the first and the greatest commandment is - “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”  We find the same words in Deuteronomy 6 from God through Moses as he speaks to the Israelites before they cross over to the Promised Land.  Although this study is based on the verse in Matthew I want to begin with the first time we hear such words, in Deuteronomy 6: 4-5. 

Deuteronomy 6: 4-5 NIV
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
We will begin our meditation with verse four only.  This study takes meditation of a verse slowly, and intentionally focuses on a word or a few words at a time.  It is designed to make meditation on God and his Word easy and deliberate.  This grants God the opportunity to give the busy woman personal revelations from Him as you take your time in His Word.  You will love it once you get the hang of it.  My first Bible study was Meditation, It’s Easy based on Jeremiah 29: 11-12.  We spent a lot of time learning from God while meditating on those 2 verses.  I can tell you that Jeremiah 29:11-12 is so deep inside me that I will never ever have even the slightest doubt that God has a plan for me, to prosper me and not to harm me.  That Bible study that God used these hands to write had a great impact on me.  My mother told me it changed her life as well.  Wow!  So I hope you will continue to read the studies and open your mind to meditation. 

We will start with Deuteronomy 6:4
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Begin your focus on the word “hear.”  Also know that Israel is God’s chosen people in this verse.  You are God’s chosen people now, in Christ.  So consider that God is speaking to you.  You are Israel. 
Hear.  God hears us often.  God hears our cries for help, healing and guidance.  He hears our complaints.  He hears our love and gratitude.  He hears our worship.  He hears us often.  This verse begins with “hear.”  Hear this, listen, pay attention something important is coming.  I know you are going to say “what?”  But this is your meditation and focus for the week.  Meditate on the three words “Hear, O Israel.  Yes you heard me.  I know there are no serious commandments in these three words.  It may seem odd that I ask you to focus on this, but trust me.  God is the author here, I am simply the messenger.  Throughout this week think about why God would begin a verse with “Hear.”  Shouldn’t we listen to everything we read in the Bible?  Why “hear”?  By the end of the week I want an answer to that question please.  Concentrate on “hear”, its meaning, its purpose in these two verses and why it is needed there.  Ask God to explain it to you.  Ask God to speak to you on it.  By Friday, or at least next Sunday, I know you will have an answer.  It will most likely be something entirely different than your answer you have now.  Test it out.  Try to prove me wrong if you want, but please do it.  God has a plan with this study, and I want you to reap the benefits. 

Homework:
Deuteronomy 6:4
Hear, O Israel.

Meditate on those three words.  Imagine God speaking them to you.  You are Israel right now.  You are God’s chosen people.  God is speaking directly to you.  Every day think on these 3 words coming from God to you.  I smile just thinking about what will probably happen to you by the end of the week.  You will be surprised.  God is going to speak to you somehow, someway through meditating on these 3 little words.  I am so excited!  I am smiling while I type this.  Watch out.  Be amazed in a few days.  God has a plan for YOU in this. 

Love,
Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment